incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] OOo 3.3 update service - next steps
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:19:24 GMT
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 06.06.2012 22:50, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>>
>> Am 06/06/2012 03:39 PM, schrieb Oliver-Rainer Wittmann:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> from what we have experienced so far from the "first phase" of the OOo
>>> 3.3 update service it makes sense to me to have the full OOo 3.3 update
>>> service working at the end of this week.
>>>
>>> As we would like to direct our users to a localized download page, if
>>> possible, I want to put our attention on the "planned" download pages.
>>> Rob already started a similar thread - namely "Audit of NL home pages"
>>> [1], but I am not sure, if the one or the other already took action.
>>>
>>> Please provide feedback regarding to which page the OOo 3.3 update
>>> functionality should direct the user for these languages.
>>>
>>> Arabic -> ?
>>>
>>> Chinese (simplified) -> ?
>>>
>>> Chinese (traditional) -> ?
>>>
>>> Czech -> ?
>>>
>>> Dutch -> http://www.openoffice.org/nl/downloaden.html
>>>
>>> English (US) -> http://www.openoffice.org/download
>>>
>>> French -> http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Telecharger/
>>>
>>> Galician -> ?
>>>
>>> German -> ?
>>

>> German -> http://www.openoffice.org/download
>>
>> On the mainpage "http://www.openoffice.org/de/" there is only one big link
>> that
>> points to the central download webpage.
>>
>> However, there are still some errors, so I'll update the site a bit to
>> make it
>> more Apache-like.
>>

> Thx for the feedback.
>
> Thus, for German we will direct the user to English (US) download page.
>
> Question for discussion:
> Should we use the English (US) download page as a fallback for the languages
> for which we have no localized download page?
> orw's opinion: I am not in favor of such a fallback, but I currently see no
> other solution.

I think we still want to gradually enable the upgrade notifications
over the next week.  Maybe we start with those that have good NL
download pages.  But at the end, we really need to enable everyone to
upgrade.  AOO 3.4 has important security patches.  So at the end, if
there is no good NL page we would direct them to the default English
page.   And if we get an improved NL page in the future, we can add
support for that,

> Another question for discussion:
> Does it make sense to adapt the URL parameter "utm_source=OOo3_3" to
> "utm_source=OOo3_3_[language code]" in order to distinguish the languages on
> this level?

Not really necessary.  Google already tracks the country and locale,
so we can already see the distribution that way.  It also tracks the
platform.