incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bring back the distributors page!
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 19:52:03 GMT
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM, John Schmidt <support@123openoffice.com> wrote:
> I thought this was a great idea and have always had my software up to date
> and delivered on time. I can't say anything for anyone else, but my site
> looks professional and I also supply the buyer with choices of support
> packages. I for one would like this to stay open. I have not received a sale
> since the switch to Apache Openoffice. So if you can please bring the
> distributors page back.

Hi John,

First, thanks for caring enough about this to write.   It is great to
have a working distributor weigh in on these questions as we discuss
them.

As you probably saw on the website, we took down the distribution site
with the hopes of possibly bringing it back in some form in the
future.  But we wanted to give some thought to how we could do this.

Could I ask you a few questions, from your perspective as a
distributor?  It would help me, and others as well, understand what
your needs are.

1)   How important is to your business to have the "Community
Distributor" logo on your website, or to otherwise have access to
OpenOffice logos and branding?

2)  How important is to your business to be listed on a distribution
page of our website, www.openoffice.org?  Is this due to traffic that
is generated?  Or by the implied endorsement that comes from being
listed?  Or both?

3)  If we made a "distributor" logo available for use by OpenOffice
distributors, but under specific conditions, what should those
conditions be?

4) Another way to think of it is this: The value of that logo is
diminished it is given to those who who offer poor service.  So what
would distinguish a good distributor from a bad one?

Any other thoughts would be welcome as well.

Regards,

-Rob