incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Touching base with the mirrorbrain operators
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:06:47 GMT
n Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:40 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> It is wonderful to see the millions of downloads for the current 3.4
>> release, utilizing the sf.net resources.
>>
>> It's also encouraging to see the half million downloads per month still
>> going out from the mirrorbrain servers - this 500,000 p/mos figure is
>> comprised of older releases, many of which include language packs not
>> yet available for 3.4 or the upcoming 3.4.1 - so this is a valuable
>> resource to the project still, IMO.
>>
>> Back in March I sent an email to 102 contact references for that mirror
>> network, it would be a good idea IMO to drop another note to these
>> folks, let them know we recognize the traffic they are still carrying,
>> say thanks and keep in touch as the projects looks to, and plans for the
>> next release - 3.4.1 and beyond.
>>
>> Sound like a good idea?
>>

> If we want to use MirrorBrain longer term it would probably be good to
> have a ooo-mirrors list, or something like that, so we can have
> bidirectional communications.   It would be a low-traffic list, but it
> would be better for the operators to join a specialized list than have
> them sign up for ooo-dev.

Or maybe broaden it to an ooo-distributors list, to include the those
distributing CD's, copies of AOO on their own website, as well as
mirror operators.  It benefits us if we have an easy way to
communicate with them on things such as release plans (they should
know things are coming well in advance), changes in branding, etc.

Although the technologies differ, they all have the common interest in
wanting to synch up with us on releases.  But not enough to suffer
through ooo-dev.

-Rob