incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Windows 8 Compatibility?
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 21:59:26 GMT
I installed the Windows 8 Tech Preview (32-bit) today on a virtual
server.  After a few minutes to figure out the new platform UI I
installed AOO 3.4.  Install went without problems and it appears to
run fine.

Of course, there is more that we could do to be a well-integrated
Windows desktop application.  The best practices are outlined here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/hh749939

A lot of this is goodness that would help users on Windows 7 and
earlier versions as well.  For example, the code signing reduces the
risk of tampering or corrupt files.  It also reduces false complaints
by some anti-virus products.  The recommended compiler options help
reduce the explotability of security vulnerabilities, especially of
the kind products run into reading binary file formats.  More info on
these options are here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2009/05/21/dynamicbase-and-nxcompat.aspx

Did OpenOffice.org ever try for logo certification from Microsoft
before?  If so, what was the experience?

I think it might be worth trying for this with AOO,  It would takes
some work, but in the end we would have better platform integration,
and a better user and admin experience.

-Rob