incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 13:09:02 GMT
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> next and refined steps - see below.
>
> Please hold me back, if the schedule is too tough.
>
> Best regards, Oliver.

>> [snip]
>>

>> Ok.
>> Roberto, Rob and Kay are in favor to activate the update service only for
>> a part
>> of the possible OOo 3.3 instances in order to check, if the traffic can be
>> handled. No objections from my side.
>>
>> One important remark which I had not given yet:
>> When we had the redirect from [5] to [4] established by the ASF
>> infrastructure
>> team, all (yes, all) installed OOo 3.3 instances in which the check of
>> updates
>> is initiated will get the XML document. Whose which find an entry with
>> their
>> data (language, platform, architecture) will state that an update is
>> available.
>> All the others will state that the OOo 3.3 installation is up to date.
>>

>> To start this first phase the following tasks need to be finished:
>> (1) Choose the OOo 3.3 candidates for the first phase.
>> -- orw's proposal: italian on all four platforms
>

> It looks like we will go for it.
> Thus, I will reduce the current XML document to the italian entries.
>

>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>> established at a certain day.
>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>

> I will try to get in contact with ASF infrastructure team today.
>

>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate tracking
>> for
>> this page.
>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>

> Instead of a new landing page it looks like that we will go for the
> corresponding NL pages.
> I will update the links in the XML document accordingly.
> Rob: Can you provide the URL parameters for the Google Analytics tracking?
> I will use "?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade" when
> I am updating the XML document. Please refine, if needed - Thx in advance.

That is correct for upgrades from the 3.3 client.   But we would
change the "utm_source" parameter when we enable OOo 3.2. updates.

Also, if we follow Andrea's proposal, we don't link to the NL home
page, but to the NL's download page directly.   (If I understand
correctly).

For example, Spanish upgrade URL would be:

http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade