incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Welcome new committers!
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 00:32:48 GMT
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Anton Meixome <meixome@certima.net> wrote:
> 2012/6/11 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>> Aside from the welcome note that Dennis sent out, I'd like to bring to
>> things to your attention.
>>
>> First, please read through the "Guide for New Committers":
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html   There is some
>> useful information there related to email, security, etc.
>>
>> Second, please add an entry for yourself on this project page:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>>
>> Now that you are a committer, this is a good opportunity for you to
>> make your first commit, editing that page.  The simplest way is to use
>> the Apache CMS to edit this page via the web:
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html#using-the-apache-cms-bookmarklet-simpler-method
>>
>> Try it and ask questions if it is not clear.  The CMS is *extremely*
>> useful and is the backbone of how we manage both the podling website
>> as well as the openoffice.org one.
>
> I Rob, thanks for this usefull links
>
> I have accomplished with this but I don't see changes. The cms says:
>
> «Commit successful (revision 1348690)!

Publishing to the happens like this:

1) You edit the source web page file and commit your change.

2) The CMS then sees that the file has changed and then starts a
process to generate the new HTML page.  This process does things like
add a consistent header and footer and license statement and other
good things.

3) At this point the generated webpage is on the "staging" server,
ready for you to confirm that it is correct.

4) Once you confirm that it is correct, then you "publish" the change.
 This means that the generated HTML for that webpage is pushed onto
the production server.

So it sounds like you did the 1st step correctly.  And the CMS did the
second step

For the 3rd step you could click the 'Follow staging build" link.
That would show you how many seconds (or minutes, depending on the
queue) it will take before your HTML is generated.  Once that queue is
empty, you can then go back and click the "staged" link to verify that
the output is correct.  If it is, then click "Publish Site"

> Note: the build process is ASYNCHRONOUS and you will need to wait for
> the build to complete before attempting to publish your changes.»
>
> I don't understand vey welll.
> Simply, must I await or the system is awaiting for else more?

In this case, I was editing the website at the same time you were, so
I published your changes along with mine.  But next time you want to
edit the website, try the above steps.

Regards,

-Rob