incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The reason I removed the program called Open Office 3.4
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2012 20:44:28 GMT
On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-02 at 09:30 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>> > I am unsure from your statement Choi (is it proper to use the second name in
conversation?) whether you were confirming the user's report.

>> > If what the reporter says is true then this needs to be a bugzilla and possible
blocker for 3.4.1. How is this being tested on Windows? And is the result that installing
AOO 3.4 on it does in fact cause (or even has as a default) the shifting of MS Office document
types to be opened with AOO instead of MS Office. If MS Office is present then this must not
be the the default option.

>> > The check must not be implicit to the user who just clicks continue and accept
buttons through the WIndows installation process. Users must explicitly choose to have AOO
override MS Office for MS Office documents.

>> Making the opposite default could be wrong as well.  For example, the
>> user could have had one of those 30-day trial versions of MS Office
>> that are commonly bundled with new PC's.  The trial expires and they
>> install AOO.  If we don't default to taking the file extensions, then
>> the user is left in a tough position.
>>
>> Ideally we'd have a dialog the user could reach both in the install
>> and in the product where they could see what app currently owns each
>> file extension and then switch the owner.  So they could assign an
>> extension to AOO, but also change their mind and set it back to MS
>> Office if they wanted.
>
> Well, I admit that I didn't do it this last time - but there has been an
> option for this, for a long time. The person running the installer has
> to choose custom install to see it is all - or did this change along the
> way.
>
> Making an intelligent choice for default behavior is important and needs
> to be, the desire being to server most users best by limiting the amount
> of interaction required to perform the installation.
>
> It is my feeling, given the small of number of (small but also of a
> frequency over time) individuals commenting in the negative on this
> choice, that for the majority it is the correct choice.

Good point.  2.7 million downloads and a handful of complaints.
Certainly there are more complaints unreported, but this is still very
small percentage wise.

> It also seems to me that in most of the cases where a person did contact
> one of our support channels regarding the changes that a fairly quick
> response about file associations did the trick.
>
> I'm sure however that a better way of informing the user of the option
> could be found, as most things can be improved. Though it seems to me
> that in the particular this has not a big issue for most Windows users.

Do we have any FAQ's for AOO 3.4?   Do we have a sense of what the
common questions are at this point, based on the forums and ooo-users?
 Putting such FAQ's in a prominent place would help.