incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:38:12 GMT
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> Predictably, I prefer approach I on first principles:
> Never derail the train that's running.
>
> From that perspective, there's all of this:
>  - All of the developers and many testers and others know
>   how to build AOO 3.4.0 including people who are working
>   from the source tarball and the folks working on LibreOffice
>   and other co-dependents as well

The Symphony build platform is not very different from AOO.  But since
it was supported only on Windows/Mac/Linux, additional work would be
needed for the *BSD, Solaris and OS/2.  But this is also required for
option I, since the code merged in from Symphony would also be
untested on other ports.  So I think it is the same or similar work,
differing mainly in the pace of change.

>  - the current community includes those who build special
>   distros (of OOo and LO), provide QA that serves all of us,
>   etc.

Not sure what you are referring to.  Are you referring to things like
PortableApps?

>  - There is still IP clearance to be done on the Symphony
>   contribution bits and that can be worked through selectively
>   as staging of features/fixes before merging to the SVN trunk.

Yup.  That work needs to be done in either approach.  The main
difference is whether we do it all at once, or gradually.

>  - Alignment of the symphony code can be done off-trunk with
>   merging of selected features and fixes on an iterative basis
>   accompanied by testing of various kinds and localized attention
>   to build breakers and other potential regressions.

I think that is one way in which option I could be implemented.  We
should think of it from the stability perspective, as well as CTR.

>  - There is an abundance of bug reports and analysis based on
>   the current lineage.

There are also bug reports and analysis from the Symphony side.  But
it is fair to say that either approach probably requires that existing
defects from the non-base product be re-validated to see if they are
still relevant.

>  - All of the documentation, forum contributions, MediaWiki
>   and user lists are currently oriented around the OOo-lineage
>   and they need to be morphed in a progressive way, not a sudden
>   switch.

The Symphony contribution should have come with its own documentation.
 If not, that can be added.  Ditto for translations.

>  - Users and others may like new features but for many sudden
>   switches are unsettling

Very true.

>  - Plan II could end up with us having to maintain OOo-lineage releases
>   and Symphony-merged releases concurrently.  That is a frightening
>   prospect.  It is like forking ourselves and maintaining both forks.
>  - Then there's the localizations, etc. that would crash against the
>   forked support, etc.

We're already maintaining two branches, the 3.4.x maintenance branch,
and the trunk.  If we took Plan II, I think we'd still need to
maintain the 3.4.x branch, but do new work in the Symphony trunk.  So
we're dealing with two branches either way.

But hey!  It is not an easy decision.  If there was an obvious perfect
solution that would make everyone happy, I would have just proposed
it.  But both approaches have trade-offs. Symphony is free code, but
integrating it is not free.  (That is the essentially lie of copyleft,
IMHO.  The GPL just forces one to disclose the code.  It does not
force anyone to actively share, integrate, work through issues, etc.).

-Rob