incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: References to "Apache OpenOffice"
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:07:28 GMT
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>> Wearing my IPMC and PPMC hats. I've changed blog entry titles. Sorry
>> for our oversight (or lack). Thanks for yours.
>

> Was it really necessary? In the meantime, Rob had edited the blog entries to
> insert:
>
> (Apache OpenOffice is currently undergoing Incubation at the Apache Software
> Foundation.)
>
> and this seems a good trade-off to me, much more than adding "(incubating)"
> to the title, which will confuse users, especially non-native speakers (but
> also native speakers won't always be able to guess what "incubating" means
> in this context).

+1.

In fact, if you look at the IPMC's requirements for this, they are
here:   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

"Naming

After a podling has been approved, the lists are created, and the
initial code drop has commenced, the podling MUST be referred to as
Apache "Podling-Name" AND mention that the project is under
Incubation. Suitable mentions include:

--     Inclusion of the http://incubator.apache.org/"podling-name" URL
---    Apache "Podling-Name" is currently undergoing Incubation at the
Apache Software Foundation.

Other references may only be used upon prior approval by the Incubator
PMC. These statements only need to be disclosed upon the first
reference in a document."

Note that two incubation-disclaimers are given, and that neither one
of them are what Dave did.

> Honestly, I'd be for linking "undergoing Incubation" (in the clauses Rob
> added) to Don's post https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/what_is_a_podling or
> some more official explanation, and removing "(incubating)" from the titles.
>
> This would give all interested parties the opportunity to discover what
> "incubating" means, which is probably the rationale behind the rule to use
> "(incubating)" everywhere, and at the same time would keep titles easily
> readable.

+1

One issue, I think, is that users have no idea what "(incubating)"
means.  I had one user write me and joke about aliens in pods.   We
shouldn't be leading with out-of-context internal Apache process
jargon.  Perhaps that is why the Podling Branding Guide makes the
suggestions it does, and which I had already made to the post.

-Rob