incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Must use the incubating qualifier
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2012 22:08:30 GMT
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/23 David McKay <dmckay@btconnect.com>:
>>
>> On 23/06/12 22:19, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, personal impression only:
>>>
>>> I find the rainbow coloring through the text of "Get it Here" to be
>>> distracting and not helpful.  I know some subset of us know what the colors
>>> represent, but I see no need to be cute about it.  (Yes, this will be on the
>>> final exam.)
>>
>> I'm not too sure about the wording 'Get it here'. To me that isn't as simple
>> and clear as something like 'Click to Download'.
>>
>> Might just be the way my brain is wired up, but it says to me 'you can get
>> it here on this web page somewhere', whereas something that specifically
>> says 'This is the link/image/gizmo you need to click on to kick off the
>> download' is evidently the bit you need to click on.
>>
>> Dave.
>
> It seems our brains are wired on similar ways because I agree with
> you: "Click to download" or "Click here to download" is far better,
> IMO.

Ah, but the link doesn't actually download anything.  It takes you to
the OpenOffice download page, where you would need another click or
two to download.  The only way we could trigger a direct download from
a 3rd party website would be if they included the Javascript on their
site needed to determine platform and language and resolve the
download file name.  And that might not work cross-site.

So it really is "get it here" or at best "click here to learn more" or
something like that.

Maybe beveled edges or something would make it look more "button-like"
so it was clearer that the user is supposed to click it?