incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Impact of Upgrade Downloads
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:18:26 GMT
I've updated the daily and cumulative download charts:

http://people.apache.org/~robweir/aoo-downloads.html

On the top chart each "hump" is one week, with peaks midweek and lower
volume on the weekend.  As you can see, we've had a significant
increase in volume this last week, as we gradually rolled out the
upgrade notifications.  Daily volume had been 90-110K before.  Now it
is 170-190K/day.

The upgrade strategy was to do this in three stages:

1. Roll out update notifications to OOo 3.3 installs for the 15
languages we support in AOO 3.4

2. Roll out notifications to the remaining OOo 3.3 installs

3. Roll out notifications to OOo 3.2 installs

So far, we've done this first step.

This was a team effort, with volunteers involved in reverse
engineering the upgrade XML formats, preparing the XML for the
downloads, ensuring sufficient bandwidth capacity, redirecting URL's,
etc.  So thanks, everyone, for the great success here!

-Rob