incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [UX]Counting questions and answers for EN forums
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:58:54 GMT
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> A really quick "study" based on number of post on the EN forums that
> shows, IMO, some interesting information.
>
> Fist the numbers, then some "analysis" on those numbers. Note, long
> post below...

> Number of Topics: T
> Number of Posts: P
> Ratio Posts/Topics: R

What time period are these counts for?  All time?

> Classified By App
>
> Writer
> T = 11984
> P = 61938
> R = 5.17
>
> Calc
> T = 9072
> P = 45646
> R = 5.03
>
> Base
> T = 4858
> P = 22895
> R = 4.71
>
> Impress
> T = 1718
> P = 7197
> R = 4.19
>
> Draw
> T = 634
> P = 2930
> R = 4.62
>
> Math
> T = 198
> P = 1009
> R = 5.1
>
> Particular Forums
>
> Beginners
> T = 502
> P = 2200
> R = 4.38
>
> Setup and Troubleshooting
> T = 10048 (MS: 4058; Linux: 1324; OSX: 1119; non classified: 3547)
> P = 47644 (MS: 19362; Linux: 6559; OSX: 5352; non classified: 16371)
> R = 4.74 (MS: 4.77; Linux: 4.95; OSX: 4.78; non classified: 4.62)
>
> Macro
> T = 3423
> P = 15571
> R = 4.55
>
> Discussion Forums
>
> General Discussion
> T = 1017
> P = 6283
> R = 6.18
>
> Site Feedback (including Forum Governance)
> T = 344
> P = 2635
> R = 7.66
>

> Totals
> T = 44468
> P = 225242
> R = 5.07

> Some quick observations:
>
> - The most used forums are Writer, then Setup and Troubleshooting,
> then Calc, then a big gap, then the rest
> - There are around 5 messages on each thread on forums dedicated to
> the different apps
> - Setup problems on Linux need more work than on the other platforms
> - Beginners forum have the lowest Post/Topic ratio: 4.38
> - Discussion forums have the highest Post/Topic ratios: 6.18 and 7.66

Do you have a sense of whether these ratios are different with AOO
than they were with OOo?

> Some quick conclusions from these observations:
>
> - The Post/Topic ratio is always high, which means that interaction
> with users is always needed. Solving AOO problems always need a lot of
> feedback and investigation. The immediate conclusion is that systems
> like stack overflow, yahoo answers and similar will never work here:
> those systems are useful when questions have unique answers that you
> can evaluate, vote and classify, not when feedback (more information,
> sample documents, different trials...) is needed.

It is an interesting point.  However, StackExchange allows
clarification of the original question, as well as multiple
"solutions" that are then rated.  But that only suits some problems.
For example, it would work well for questions about how best code a
particular macro task.  But not so good for something that needs
debugging, as you note..  On the other hand, a site that rates
previous answers and gives them greater position in search might help
the user solve their own problem without even needed to make a post.
But that is hard to measure.

> - Setup and troubleshooting numbers are perhaps too high: this show
> that users have big problems not only using the software, but on
> making it run properly. To have so many installation problems, spell
> check problems, crash problems... is a bad sign: to take the software
> and make it run should be the easiest part. But on the positive side
> we have that the ratio is lower than on the other forums: setup
> problems are easier to solve than, say, Writer problems.

Is it worth collecting the "top 10" issues with 3.4 and making an FAQ
for this?  We could put it on the download page and the support page
and pin it as a topic on the forums.

> - As already mentioned, the ratio for Linux setup problems is the
> highest. That's not necessarily a problem with our Linux builds: Linux
> distros always made a big mess when packaging their highly patched
> versions of OOo and now LibO. Problems to install AOO on ubuntu or
> fedora because the way they packaged LibO is a good example.
>
> - The low ratio on Beginners forum is a good signal: it means that
> real beginners come with simple problems that have an easy solution.
> More advanced users have more demanding problems that need more
> interaction resulting on the higher ratio on the other forums. But
> perhaps the ratio en Beginners forum should be even lower: ideally,
> simple problems should have a ratio close to 2 (one question + one
> answer).
>
> - Higher ratios on discussion forums is good, but maybe not good
> enough: most forum users do not engage on discussions, they are only
> interested on solving their problems.
>
> - Something else?

Interesting data, thanks.

-Rob