incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 17:08:42 GMT
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 6/4/12 5:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
>> but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
>> can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
>> website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
>> volunteers.
>
> you are faster than I ;-)

Or just more free time ;-0

> I would create a new wiki page and would like to update the wiki page
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide

The topic is broader than just Pootle, so I hope we have a new page
that covers the higher-level questions, such as what I have here.
That can then point into the Pootle wiki for details on using that
tool.

>> =How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice=
>>

>> ==Introduction==
>>
>> OpenOffice traditionally has had excellent localization support,
>> especially with its support of over 100 languages, including many
>> minority languages that are not commonly supported in commercial
>> products.  Our community-led, all-volunteer, open source development
>> model facilitates this.
>>
>> Each new version of OpenOffice requires the translations to be
>> updated, to add translations for terms and phrases that have been
>> added or changed in the product.  So maintaining support for any given
>> translation is an ongoing effort, requiring volunteers to help keep
>> the translations current, complete and accurate.
>>
>> A list of translations available in the most-recent release of Apache
>> OpenOffice can be found here:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>>
>> A larger list of languages, including ones that have incomplete
>> translations are listed here:
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/
>>
>> [ Is that the correct URL?  There were other AOO-related projects on
>> Pootle as well. ]
>
> the url is correct for the UI, we have a separate project for the help
>
> https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34_help/

OK. So we should mentioned both.  I also see projects for AOO 4.0 in
Pootle.  What is that for?

>> [ Also, is that the entire list of PO files or do we have others?  I
>> thought we had more than 71 languages ]
>
> no I think we have more, I have started to integrated all po's we have
> in the repo but have had problems with some of them. This work have to
> be finished...

OK.  So maybe on the wiki page where we list volunteers we list all of
the languages.  And then we can put a note that says if a volunteer
wants to work on a language that is not yet loaded onto Pootle, they
should send a note to the list.

And if someone wants to work on an entirely new language?  How do they
get started there?   We should have some info on that.

>> ==How to Help==
>>
>> First, register your interest.   We track a list of volunteers
>> interested in helping with each language on our wiki here: XXXX
>>
>> [ This doesn't exist yet, but I propose adding it ]
>
> yes, but we should create one to track the progress and to know who is
> working on the different languages. Good to know whom to contact ;-)
>
> I will do that ...

Thanks.

>> You should add your name to that list, and send an email to
>> ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org to introduce yourself and your interest
>> in helping with that language.
>>
>> [ I'd love to start a new list, ooo-i10n@incubator.apache.org to
>> handle this and the following translation coordination issues ]
>
> I would propose ooo-l10n@apache.org (otherwise i18n)

OK.

>> If a build with your language already exists, you should download and
>> install.  If you find errors in the translation, you can report it
>> directly as a bug report in Bugzilla
>> (https://issues.apache.org/ooo/enter_bug.cgi?product=native-lang) or
>> enter a suggested fix into Pootle (more on Pootle below).
>>
>> If a build is not yet ready for your language, then that typically
>> means that the translation is not yet complete.  You can help finish
>> the translation in several ways:
>>
>> 1) You can send a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n list if we
>> make one] requesting the PO file for that language.  This file can be
>> loaded into a translation management tool where you can edit the
>> translation.  When done, or when you've make progress that you want to
>> verify, you can submit the new PO file as an attachment in Bugzilla.
>> This approach works well if you are the only person working on a
>> translation.
>>
>> [ I need a list of some suggested tools that can be used with PO files ]
>
> see http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide

Good.

> A tool to verify the sdf files
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Gsicheck

Do translators ever need to touch the SDF files?