incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Guidelines for list conduct policy
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:33:29 GMT
On 18 June 2012 13:30, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/18 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>>>   1.
>>>
>>>   What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas:
>>>   Anything you read in the private list is by default a private PPMC
>>>   affair and not to be spoken of, or copied to other people who are not in
>>>   the PPMC.  If you think about it, most topic threads probably should be in
>>>   the public lists, except choosing committers and PPMC members, and a very
>>>   few others.
>>>   In fact, all email lists or email conversations have this aspect of
>>>   privacy. Even if there are 23000 subscribers on the list, it is assumed
>>>   that privacy will be maintained and a list member's name and location will
>>>   not be published in a newspaper or some other public venue where personal
>>>   privacy is not expected.
>>
>> I like it.  You write well, with style.  But I do wonder if "What
>> happens in Vegas..." is well understood outside of the USA?  Of
>> course, everyone should watch "The Hangover" ;-)
>
> The phrase is clear from context... but not by itself. At least not for me.

I think the phrase may give the wrong impression. I assumed it was
akin to "don't broadcast what happens on a stag night" but having done
an internet search I see it's perhaps not quite the same.

Nevertheless, I suggest a change to something less culturally biased
and with less likelihood of misinterpretation.