incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 12:22:34 GMT
On 9 June 2012 08:57, O.Felka <olaf-openoffice@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 08.06.2012 19:00, schrieb sebb:
>
>> On 7 June 2012 03:57, Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>

>>> b. The program 'Unpacks' to a folder on the 'Desktop' - Why? Really we
>>> should be choosing the 'Downloads' folder.
>

> We've decided to place them on the desktop so that every user can find them
> easily.
> Every user has the choice to unpack them into a different folder.
>

>> Better yet, use a folder under %TEMP% and delete it after use.
>

> No!
>

>> AFAICT, the unpacked files are only needed for installation, and one
>> still has the initial download, so why clutter up the disk?
>

> this is not true. The unpacked files are needed for the so called
> 'maintenance mode': Starting the setup from the control panel offers you a
> repair and a modify mode. That's what the unpacked files are needed for.

In that case, they really should *not* be placed on the desktop.
Nor under TEMP of course.

I don't know what the Windows standard location for such things is,
but it's certainly not the desktop.

And of course, if the user decides to remove the application, it
should remove the unpacked files as well.

> What we might delete is the packed file.

Only if this is agreed by the user.