incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Final look at art work ( Re: First Year Anniversary - party CD)
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:11:41 GMT
On 13 June 2012 01:33, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 00:28 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> >>
>> > <snip>

>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > Alright - well, cutting it right down to the end on time here.
>> >
>> > I just want to be sure, as I'm not sure this is right branding wise - if
>> > you anyone sees a problem with this let me know, I don't mind re-working
>> > things. I also won't be offended if anyone says hold up..
>> >
>> > Here is the final cut on five items:
>> >
>> > A disk label:
>> > http://lo-portal.us/aoo/temp/AOO34-cd-label-win.png
>> >
>> > Envelope/Sleeve cover:
>> > http://lo-portal.us/aoo/temp/AOO34-cd-sleeve-win.png
>> >
>> > Cut/Fold Envelope:
>> > http://lo-portal.us/aoo/temp/AOO34-cd-folded-win.png
>> >
>> > CD/DVD tall case cover:
>> > http://lo-portal.us/aoo/temp/AOO34-dvd-case-win.png
>> >
>> > A4 poster:
>> > http://lo-portal.us/aoo/temp/freeyourself.png
>> >
>> > I have a few hours ahead of me before I button this iso image up, if you
>> > see some glaring problem I missed do please yell.
>>
>> The only possible problem I see is the text
>>
>> MS Windows
>> XP, Vista, Win 7
>> (c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation
>>
>> Should MS be spelt in full?
>> Microsoft and Windows are both registered trademarks.
>
> Just space requirements..

All the software packages I have seen which target Windows either omit
Microsoft or spell it out in full.
AFAIK "MS" is not an official abbreviation for Microsoft; they may not
be too happy.

>> Also, when I first saw this, I briefly thought that the (c) statement
>> applied to the content.
>> In fact I'm not sure what the (c) does apply to.
>> I suspect it should be removed.
>
> Hi Sebb,
>
> It should be a registered trademark glyph, there was a mistake earlier
> today and you may just need do a cache refresh.

I can see the (R) now, however it is not appropriately used.

AFAIK, the terms that are registered are

Microsoft
Windows
Vista

So the block should be:

Microsoft (R) Windows (R)
XP, Vista (R), Win 7

(or is it called Windows 7?)

It might be OK to omit the (R) after Vista.

The following line is misleading and should be removed:

(R) 2012 Microsoft Corporation

Have a look at some other recent products that are designed
for/support Windows and see what they do.

>> It would be helpful to make clear that MS Windows is the host OS, and
>> is not actually supplied.
>> e.g.
>

>> Version for:
>>
>> or
>>
>> Designed for:
>>
>> or
>>
>> Supports:
>> Microsoft (r) Windows (r)
>> XP, Vista, Win 7 (or is it called Windows 7?)
>

> hmm - I suppose, though Alexandro is saying 'too much'... tis the normal
> way of things in other words ;)
>
> so... I'll see about trying to do both things at the same time - if I
> can tonight, add more white space and one that, actually it will be
> better for both.
>

> @Sebb - also if you don't mind me asking directly for you thought on
> something.
>
> Rob correctly pointed out that this is really a re-mix of official
> material, but not official itself - well, honestly looking at what I've
> produced, not sure that is easily discerned.
>
> Does use of the brand like this, without any notice on any of those
> pieces of who I am, who the actual publisher of the iso image is in
> other words, cause any concerns in your mind?

That is a separate issue, which should be addressed to the ASF
Branding / Trademarks team.