incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 00:18:16 GMT
On 9 June 2012 14:57, O.Felka <olaf-openoffice@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> this is not true. The unpacked files are needed for the so called
>>> 'maintenance mode': Starting the setup from the control panel offers you
>>> repair and a modify mode. That's what the unpacked files are needed for.
>>

>> In that case, they really should *not* be placed on the desktop.
>> Nor under TEMP of course.
>>
>> I don't know what the Windows standard location for such things is,
>> but it's certainly not the desktop.
>

> On Vista and 7 it could be "c:\Users\<user name>\Downloads\".

I don't think downloads is suitable either.
It's not actually a download once it has been unpacked and installed -
it's effectively part of the installation, and so should be somewhere
where it is unlikely to be deleted.

It should be probably somewhere like "Documents and Settings", in a
hidden directory such as Application Data or Local
Settings\Application Data.

Microsoft must have a convention for where such installation support
files should go.

> Who remembers Win XP?

I still use it. AIUI, many businesses still use it, partly because
Vista was not very popular.