incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installation Experience and Feedback
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:34:02 GMT
On 11 June 2012 16:17, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:

> On 11.06.2012 16:51, O.Felka wrote:

MB

>>> The question is whether there are more people annoyed by a folder on
>>> their desktop that contains files that hardly ever used or users that
>>> install only a part of the application then change their mind later.
>>

>> As we don't have any information it would end up in wild guessing.
>> comparing these two user groups is meaningless at this point.
>

> No not meaningless, just not easily possible.
>

>> As we started with the self extracting installer we've had to decide
>> where to place the unpacked files. The desktop is the place where you
>> can't oversee them.
>

> That is one thing I still don't understand.  Why is it important that the
> user has to find these files.  The installation starts automatically after
> the downloaded archive has been extracted.  A repair or change is triggered
> via a system dialog.  What is the use case in which the user has to click on
> any of the downloaded files directly?

Agreed.

>> Every user has option to unpack these file at a different location.
>

> We still need a better default.

Indeed.

If the unpacked files do not need to be kept after installation (e.g.
for full installation) then they should be created under TEMP and
deleted after installation completes.

If the unpacked files should be kept after installation (e.g. for
maintenance) then they should be stored somewhere where the user is
NOT likely be annoyed by them, and is less likely to delete (or move)
them.

Until I read this thread, I had assumed that the installation process
was broken because it did not tidy up after itself, so I just deleted
the directory containing the unpacked files.

As I wrote earlier, there must be a standard location (or choice of
location) where such maintenance files are supposed to be kept.

Desktop is a bad choice in both cases.