incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX] Working with old UX wiki pages
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:37:56 GMT
KG01 - See comments inline.

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 5:34 AM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/6/1 Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > there exists a lot of UX relevant pages in the MediaWiki. There had been
> > lot of ideas and wishes on the ooo-users@incubator.apache.org recently.
> > have pointed them to Bugzilla and to these UX pages. But that seems to be
> > wrong.

KG01 - Agreed. There is alot of good stuff in there. We need to harvest the
relevant, and retire the dated.

> > I think, that a decision is needed, how to handle this stuff in future. I
> > see this problems:
> >
> > (1)
> > Currently some (all?) pages are assigned to category 'outdated', but
> that is
> > not very obvious.
> >
> > Most of this pages have the template {{user experience}} integrated. My
> > suggestion is, to put a note into this template.

KG01 - Indeed, we need a note in the old template indicating that the old
content has been archived, and that moving forward we'll use the new AOO UX
home page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice_User_Experience

> > (2)
> > At OOo times there was only the MediaWiki. But now we have the MediaWiki
> and
> > the CWiki. My suggestion is, to use the MediaWiki only for those things,
> > which are not connected with core development and not connected with
> > community building. With this premise, UX work should be on the CWiki.
> That
> > Wiki is writable for all too, so it would be no constrain in
> participation.

KG 01 - I'm hearing different guidance from different people around the
project on this one.

I understood the cwiki was for project planning. Development asked me to
keep all UX-related content on the MediaWiki. This is unnecessarily
confusing.

We need to clarify this as soon as possible before we waste time populating
the mediawiki.

> +1. We can use MediaWiki for tutorials and documentation, and CWiki
> for planning and development.

KG01 - Better defaults is an example of an initiative we need to move over
to new UX activity list.

I've started to create the structure in MediaWiki to capture these items.
"Better Defaults", for example, could be listed as an activity design
exploration.

I'll continue to update the AOO UX mediawiki homepage capture this
information.