incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 02:20:02 GMT
KG01 - See comments inline.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 6/13/12 11:03 AM, Guy Waterval wrote:
> > Hi Rob,
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 2012/6/12 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>
> >

> >> Our challenge is to find the best way to bring these two code bases
> >> together, to make the best product.
> >>
> >> I think there are two main approaches to this problem:
> >>
> >> I.  Merge code, from Symphony, feature by feature, into AOO, in a
> >> prioritized order.  This is the "slow" approach, since it would take
> >> (by the estimates I've seen) a couple of years to bring all of the
> >> Symphony enhancements and bug fixes over to AOO.
> >>
> >> II.  Use Symphony as the the new base, and merge (over time) AOO (and
> >> OOo) enhancements and bug fixes into the new trunk.  This approach
> >> quickly gives a new UI, something we could fairly call Apache
> >> OpenOffice 4.0.
> >

> > It's not an easy choice. From my end user point of view :
> > Solution I is better for maintaining the existing population of OO.org
> > users.
> > Solution II is better for getting new users, I think. A MS Office teacher
> > said me recently that he thought that the principal issue for the growing
> > of the number of OO users was not a quality issue of the software,  but
> > simply the fact that it looks too much like a new MS Office 2003 version
> >  ... but free. So, it appears too much as an old maintained software.
>
> Both options will bring UI changes and I hope that we can focus in the
> future on finding our own identity and can provide an office application
> that solves daily problems and that makes the work on common and
> frequently tasks as easy as possible for our users.

KG01 - This is an important point. Beyond technical bits, we need to be
mindful to design and develop products that help people capture their
thoughts, and share their ideas.

KG01 - AOO 4.0 will some flavour of code merge/migration effort, but should
also have, as Jurgen so eloquently put it, a unique "identity". Our release
themes should include such items.