incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: *DRAFT* June board report...please help
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 03:36:09 GMT
KG01 - See comments inline.

Kay, thanks for putting this information together.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > a (bad) guess. And, duh -- we only report in March, June, September,
> > December, so what I have here in terms of what we've been doing since
> March
> > is probably way, way off... Please update as you see fit!
> >
> > I now have an incubator wiki account so I will happily post when we're
> done
> >

> > == proposed June AOO report ==
> >
> > *Project Name and Brief Description*
> >
> > OpenOffice (was OpenOffice.org)
> >
> > * OpenOffice entered incubation 2011-06-13
> >
> > OpenOffice is an open-source, office-document productivity suite
> providing
> > six productivity applications based around the OpenDocument Format (ODF).
> > OpenOffice is released on multiple platforms.  Its localizations  have
> > supported 110 languages worldwide.
> >
> > * Most Important Items To Address Toward Graduation *
> >
> >  1. Review of distributed articles to ensure compliance with ASF policy
> >  2. Given the size and scope of OpenOffice, continue work on
>  "community
> > readiness" espeically with refgard to
> >    organization and communication style.
> >  3. Increase size and diversity of the active development community
> >

> It seems odd to have a list that large and say that we're about to
> start a graduation vote.  My impression was we're really only working
> on #1, and Andre and Pedro seem to have those under control.  #2 and
> #3 are ongoing activities, before and after graduation, for us and any
> other Apache project.  But I don't think we have any graduation
> blocking issues there.
>

> > We have started preliminary discussion concerning graduation, and are
> > putting renewed emphasis on the above items
> > as we would like to propose graduation within the next month.
> >
> > * Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness *
> >
> >  - None
> >
> > * Community Development Progress *
> >
> >  - Since our last report we have voted in 5 (?) new Committers/PPMC
> members.
> >  - Since our last report, one committer/PPMC member has resigned
> >  - We have improved to act more as a self organized project to address
> >    and solve project related topics (eg. budget transfer from SPI, forum
> > moderation).
> >  - We accepted an offer from SourceForge to host our older 3.3 version
> and
> > provide client installs of our latest release 3.4.
> > This decision was arrived after much discussion among members and
> > consulation with mentors.
> >  - Due to heightened interest, we are putting more resources (services,
> > volunteers) into translation efforts
> >  - We are putting more effort into addressing trademark and third-party
> > distributin requests. Ongoing emphasis as to
> >    how to accomodate and track these requests is becoming an important
> > concern.
> >  - We are putting renewed emphasis on recruitment to assist with
> maintaiing
> > now abandoned former native-language project web sites.

KG01 - Re "3. Increase size and diversity of the active development
community", perhaps we could acknowledge that we are working to
re-invigorate the user experience design effort. Software is for people,
and we should show that we are working hard to understand who is user our
product, why and for what, and how we will work to deliver the best
experience possible to support our users. We don't just make code software,
we design great products that align with our client's view of success -
that is a design activity. My feedback here is too wordy, please include
anything that acknowledges effort in user research and design of our
products would be great.