incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Phillip Rhodes <motley.crue....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The reason I removed the program called Open Office 3.4
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 15:22:47 GMT
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> Well, I can not agree that the 'next, next...' culture is wrong - that
> culture BTW is changing to just one click install. Soon IMO this small
> number of steps to install an end user application will likely be
> completely unacceptable.

I'm not convinced, personally.  "Unacceptable" to who, exactly?  And are
we to believe that context is irrelevant, and that the install process for every
program will be exactly the same.

> There is no good reason that a person needs to know anything about the
> OS for daily performance of their tasks, unless they want to enter the
> field as a vocation or advocation.

This sounds like the argument "a person doesn't need to know how an
internal combustion engine works, in order to drive a car."  And
that's mostly true, but a car owner does need to know enough to check
the oil every so often, or know enough to know to have someone else
check the oil every so often.   As analogies go, I think this holds up
here.  Someone using a computer needs to know a little bit of basic
maintenance "stuff" or must rely on *someone* to provide the
knowledge.   I don't think it makes sense to say the user can just
abdicate all responsibility for knowing the basics about the tool they
are using.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Phil