incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Guy Waterval <waterval....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 09:03:33 GMT
Hi Rob,
Hi all,

2012/6/12 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>

> Our challenge is to find the best way to bring these two code bases
> together, to make the best product.
>
> I think there are two main approaches to this problem:
>
> I.  Merge code, from Symphony, feature by feature, into AOO, in a
> prioritized order.  This is the "slow" approach, since it would take
> (by the estimates I've seen) a couple of years to bring all of the
> Symphony enhancements and bug fixes over to AOO.
>
> II.  Use Symphony as the the new base, and merge (over time) AOO (and
> OOo) enhancements and bug fixes into the new trunk.  This approach
> quickly gives a new UI, something we could fairly call Apache
> OpenOffice 4.0.

It's not an easy choice. From my end user point of view :
Solution I is better for maintaining the existing population of OO.org
users.
Solution II is better for getting new users, I think. A MS Office teacher
said me recently that he thought that the principal issue for the growing
of the number of OO users was not a quality issue of the software,  but
simply the fact that it looks too much like a new MS Office 2003 version
 ... but free. So, it appears too much as an old maintained software.

Just my opinion

A+
--
gw