incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@oooes.org>
Subject Re: The reason I removed the program called Open Office 3.4
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 13:27:57 GMT
On 6/2/12, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
> When the US gov went to word from wordperfect sometime around 1994, pretty
> much everybody who interacted with the government went to MS Office within
> a year or so.
> I expect we will see a similar effect from Brazil and other governments
> moving to OFF.
> When I installed 3.4 on windows 7 and on Ubuntu Linux,  I was given an
> option to allow or not allow OO to open MS formats by default.  The problem
> may be that the default state of the check-boxes is for the file
> association to be with OO.
> Recently my copy of MS Office 2010 stole back the associations, so I had to
> fix them to point back to OO3.4. Thus I can appreciate the feelings of the
> original post.

This goes with my point that this is an expected behavior of any
software. Including AOO, MSO has it, same as other non office software
like browsers, media players, zip utilities, etc.

File association can be reversed from the OS level or also use the
Open with... option. So is not the end of the world or a "intrusive"
behavior. Like people here want us to think like.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org EspaƱol