incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Moving Category-B tarballs (was Re: [PROPOSAL] Starting the graduation process)
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 07:47:44 GMT
On May 31, 2012 5:26 PM, "Pedro Giffuni" <> wrote:
> Hi Jürgen;
> Let me clarify some issues too ...
> On 05/31/12 10:39, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

>> 6. we agreed to upstream changes to external libs where possible and
>> necessary. And we agreed to improve the workflow to use the tar-balls
>> from their original source where possible over time and where we can
>> rely on the overall availability (e.g. dependencies to Apache libs, etc.)
> Yes. Most of them are just uninteresting upstream.

This is the part that really bothers me. There is a world of difference
between providing unmodified cat-b sources and providing modified cat-b
sources. The ASF only releases software under the ALv2. If any of these
cat-b sources have modifications they cannot, IMHO, be managed by the ASF
unless specific approval for an exception to policy is sought.

If there are no modifications the position is much less clear, but still
needs examination.

> I admit this is very clear. I don't expect such development to be
> a requirement for graduation but the transitory situation of a source
> release that depends on carrying category-B tarballs in SVN now is
> not really acceptable.

I do expect this to be sorted out before graduation.

That might be as simple as getting clarity on the policy, it might be more
than that. However, as a mentor I am uncertain about the practice adopted
here and as such will not encourage the IPMC to vote for graduation until
someone in the PPMC gets clarity.

As a mentor I'm not going to do it. I've been asked to stop doing stuff for
the community and let it manage its own afairs, and I'm happy to do so.