incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Tolerance and acceptance
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 12:13:27 GMT
On 6 June 2012 13:06, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> I move that there is no need to continue to fuel the fires of AOO vs
>> LO. The PPMC is now effective at ignoring anti-AOO materials on our
>> own lists. I suggest the PPMC should further silence inflammatory
>> posts that are anti-LO on our lists.
>>

> And what about negative posts about AOO?  Shoul we "silence" those?  I
> hope not.  Negative posts from users (within some bounds of decorum)
> is valuable feedback to the project.  I think we should value frank
> discourse about the product and where it falls short.

I think it is pretty clear that I'm not talking about valuable
discussion. I'm talking about unnecessary inflammatory remarks which
contribute nothing or, worse, are detrimental.

> Project
> members, on the other hand, should lead by example, and focus on
> constructive comments.

+1

> So although I agree with your sentiment here, I think we need to be
> very careful when considering "silencing inflammatory posts" in
> general, since a ham fisted approach would also silence criticism of
> AOO, which is valuable to receive.

OK, my initial language makes it sound like I'm saying that we should
tell people to shut up. That was a poor choice of words on my part.
Instead why lets focus on the actual action I'm advocating:

"I'm not suggesting this be tackled
onlist, that can be counter-productive too. I'm merely highlighting it
and encouraging individuals on the PPMC who agree with me to consider
sending a polite but firm request to stay focused on helping users on
the ooo-users list."

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)