incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: *DRAFT* June board report...please help
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 22:22:37 GMT
On 5 June 2012 21:34, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Issues for IPMC or ASF Board Awareness *
>
>  - None

What about the possibility of leaks and the damage this might do to
the community?

You may have omitted it because you feel it is being handled OK and
that there is nothing really to report at this stage. If that is the
case then I would say that. The goal here is to give a heads up to the
IPMC/Board that there is a serious issue and that it is being dealt
with internally. If it is not resolved to the communities satisfaction
and escalation is the first the IPMC/Board hear of this that will be
considered bad form.

You may also have omitted it because you are aware the IPMC and Board
are already informed. This is true, but the board report is an
opportunity for those who are not satisfied with progress to raise
further issues and, if they so wish, escalate. I therefore try and
include all items that cause significant tension. Furthermore, it is
not uncommon for the board to ask a PMC chair to provide more
information if something like this is not included in a report (a
board member will often scan lists during review). They don't want to
have to do detective work but if it looks like an issue is being
ignored they will seek clarification.

Note, the board reports are public so be sparing with details. The
IPMC/Board has access to the private archives if they want details.
>From my last update to this list I think you could say:

"Possible leaks of information from the ooo-private email list are
being investigated. Our first objective is to first establish if and
how leaks occurred. Once full details are available we will be working
to address the issue directly. No action is currently required from
the board and an update will be provided, at the latest, in our next
report."

>  - We have improved to act more as a self organized project to address
>    and solve project related topics (eg. budget transfer from SPI, forum
> moderation).

There is certainly improvement but still the SPI issue is not
resolved, calling that out explicitly makes me thing the PPMC is
unaware of activity on this issue. This is falling between the cracks,
partly because a change in VP fundraising resulted in a further delay
after the issue seemed to be resolved on the SPI side. However, the
item was raised at the last board meeting and everything should now be
cleared up. I have it on my todo list to close this off, but that
would not be the PPMC being self-managing and nobody here has asked me
what needs to be done still (if someone could pick this up I'd be
grateful, just mail fundraising@apache.org and ask if we are clear to
have SPI transfer funds).

You probably also want to mention that the PPMC is starting to plan
for graduation.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)