incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Paulo de Souza Lima <paulo.s.l...@varekai.org>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:56:47 GMT
2012/6/6 Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>

> Hi all,
>
> Herbert Duerr schrieb:
>
>> On 06.06.2012 05:57, imacat wrote:
>>
>>> It's relatively easy to start a new Wiki or discard an existing one.
>>> But to form and keep a live Wiki community is a lot harder than just
>>> moving.
>>>

>> Agreed.
>>
>> Speaking of the OOo/AOO Wiki community the Wiki has been a target of
>> attacks by Spambots or Annoybots for a long time. Please see e.g.
>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/w/index.php?**
>> title=Special:RecentChanges&**limit=500<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&limit=500>
>>
>> which shows that most of the changelog entries are caused by these
>> Annoybots subscribing about 50 dummy users every day.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is critical because it could blow up the service
>> but browsing the recent changes list feels like analyzing the contents
>> of a garbage bin instead of a "hey these are interesting updates"
>> moment. Whatever is decided to become the new Wiki I hope it is more
>> resilient against these attacks as we are a high profile target getting
>> plenty of page hits on the Wiki and there are also some people that
>> really want our project to die and put some effort into it. When our
>> three Wikis get overhauled this should be a consideration.
>>

> Can we restrict the account creation as described in
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/**Manual:Preventing_access#**
> Restrict_account_creation<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Preventing_access#Restrict_account_creation>
>
> You need no account to read the Wiki, so its purpose giving support is not
> restricted.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Hummm... That could prevent new contributors to join the project, but have
no interest in joining something more, let's say, "official". For example:
people who write tutorials, tips and tricks, people who make individual
efforts locally and so on.

There are other ways to block bots and fake users.

Best regards.

--
Paulo de Souza Lima
http://almalivre.wordpress.com