incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 23:36:54 GMT
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I.  Merge code, from Symphony, feature by feature, into AOO, in a
> > prioritized order.  This is the "slow" approach, since it would take
> > (by the estimates I've seen) a couple of years to bring all of the
> > Symphony enhancements and bug fixes over to AOO.
> >

> I'm in favor of an evolutionary rather then revolutionary change.
> This way, it also gives devs more time to consider what features have a
> higher priority and give most benefit to the AOO Suite.
>
> The second option you suggest is simply replacing OpenOffice with
> Symphony....
> FC

Folks may also be interested in the general FAQ on Symphony (IBM doc)

http://www-03.ibm.com/software/lotus/symphony/help.nsf/GeneralFAQ

particularly the client requirements which is a concern to me anyway. The
recommended disk space is 750M compared to the current 450M for linux for
example. (Though on my current setup, it doesn't use even close to 450M).
And similar increase for memory requirements.

Can someone give more explanation of the client system requirements for
Symphony maybe by  augmenting :

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Symphony_contribution

So, for now, without additional information, I have no opinion.

MzK

"There's no crying in baseball!"
       -- Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks), "A League of Their Own"