incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WEBPAGES][LICENSING] Do we need to put the ALv2 license header on top of our webpages (*.html, *.js *.css) ?
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2012 23:51:20 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 31, 2012, at 7:57 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de>
> wrote:
> >> Hi license experts, all,
> >>
> >> I'm just wondering if it's necessary to label our webpages with the ALv2
> >> header.
> >>

> > If you look at our project webpages (those at
> > incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg) you see that they do all have the
> > ALv2 stated in a comment in the <head>.
> >
> > That is because all of those pages are new, written in the podling, by
> > committers.
> >
> > For legacy pages at www.openoffice.org, including the wiki, we cannot
> > assume the legacy content is ALv2.  It is generally under a range of
> > licenses.  But for new content, added by project committers, checked
> > in via Subversion, I think it should be declared as ALv2.  That would
> > agree with the iCLA.
> >
> >> At least for our JavaScript files I could think of that it is suitable
> as it
> >> is kind of code? Or also for CSS files? All webpage files?
> >>

> > Anything that can be copyrighted can have the ALv2 license added.
> > But to be honest, I have not really paid attention to this for new web
> > pages.  And since the website is not included in our release, none of
> > this gets audited.   But I can see it would be a "good thing" if we
> > did this more consistently.
>
> This is my understanding. It will be good to change the mdtext in the
> OOo-site. The old html content was copied and it is not going to be a
> problem according to the information I received.
>
> If you look at the svn you will see that it was Kay and I did the bulk of
> these commits with minimal adjustment. There are scripts that were used to
> do the work.
>
> If we want to insert the al2 banner on every page then there are ways to
> do it with templates or ssi.
>
> When I did this initially in the OOo site was told not to by Dennis. IIRC
>
> Regards,
> Dave

I'd like to reopen this old thread for a bit.

Dave, do you know why Dennis told you not to do this?

I think when we (you and I) were first porting things over, you had some
concerns -- or rather tracked down -- that the pages were PDL, a license
Sun created.

ref:
http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html

So, do we basically think that anyone (any one of us or anyone else) can
use/modify the content of these pages according to this license?

> >> Would be great to get opinions from our license gurus. :-)
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Marcus

MzK

"There's no crying in baseball!"
       -- Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks), "A League of Their Own"