incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal a OOo 3.3 update service
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 16:21:46 GMT
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <
orwittmann@googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> (2) Get in contact with the ASF infrastructure team to get the redirect
>>> established at a certain day.
>>> -- orw is volunteering for this task
>>> (3) Fill the landing page [6] with content and links and activate
>>> tracking
>>> for this page.
>>> -- at least one volunteer is needed here.
>>> (4) Choose the time frame for the first phase.
>>> -- orw's proposal: 2012-07-05 until 2012-07-08 (if redirect can be
>>> established on Tuesday, 2012-07-05 and task (3) can be finished until
>>> Monday.)
>>>

>>> BTW, as we have for each language own entries in the XML document we can
>>> provide translated landing pages if somebody is willing to translate the
>>> "master" landing page.
>>>

>> Is the text in the dialog box in OOo 3.3 localized?  The text that
>> says an update is available, please go to this page to download?  Or
>> is that in English only?
>>

> It is localized.
>

>> One approach might be to have the landing page be the NL home page,
>> e.g., http://de.openoffice.org.   These already exist, and either have
>> the download links on that page, or have text that explains how to
>> download.  (En is the exception -- we'd send them to
>> http://download.openoffice.org directly)
>>

> +1 for using the NL pages as the "update landing pages".
>

>  To distinguish these visits from non-upgrade visits, we could tag them
>> using URL parameters in a way that Google Analytics can understand.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/**download.html?utm_source=OOo3_**
>> 3&utm_medium=Client&utm_**campaign=Upgrade<http://www.openoffice.org/download.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade>
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/de/**index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&**
>> utm_medium=Client&utm_**campaign=Upgrade<http://www.openoffice.org/de/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade>
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/it/**index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&**
>> utm_medium=Client&utm_**campaign=Upgrade<http://www.openoffice.org/it/index.html?utm_source=OOo3_3&utm_medium=Client&utm_campaign=Upgrade>
>>
>> The extra parameters would be ignored by our website, but GA would
>> understand them.
>>

> No problem to include such parameters.
>

>  One other question:  does this take care of OOo 3.2 upgrades as well?
>>

> Not yet planned nor tested, but I assume that the XML document only needs
> minor adjustments.
> OOo 3.2 has the UpdateURL http://update34.services.**openoffice.org/.<http://update34.services.openoffice.org/.>
> ..
> OOo 3.2.1 has the Update URL http://update35.services.**openoffice.org/.<http://update35.services.openoffice.org/.>
> ..
>
> But once the update service is working for OOo 3.3, we can easily do the
> same for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 (and even former versions).

Oliver,  don't go any further back than maybe 3.1. The 3.0 update URL is
the one that uses POST instead of GET, and creates mayhem!

This is update30....

DO NOT redirect this one. I don't know about some of the others.

We should probably be fie with update34, update 35.

Everything else seems great!

> We can redirect these URLs to another XML document which contains
> different "update landing page URLs" in order to distinguish e.g. OOo 3.2
> update requests from OOo 3.3 update requests.
>
> Before activating the update service for former versions I would like to
> think about including languages/platform combinations for which we do _not_
> have yet an installation package available. It could be a possibility to
> aware these users about the AOO 3.4 release. May be we can get feedback
> which languages and/or platforms our users are requesting. May be we can
> activate certain volunteers for these languages/platforms. May be certain
> users would be also satisfied with another localization.
>

>  Do we think there are many out there?
>>

> I do not know.
>
> OOo 3.2 was released at 2010-02-11, OOo 3.2.1 at 2010-06-03.
> OOo 3.3 was out at 2011-01-27. I assume that at this time the former
> update services for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1 were available. Thus, the users
> had at least 2,5 months (until mid April 2011) to upgrade. May be former
> update services were longer available - I do not know.
> I could conclude that our OOo 3.2/3.2.1 user base is small compared to the
> OOo 3.3 one from these assumption, but I am not sure.
>
> Best regards, Oliver.
>

>>  [6]
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/**projects/update36/**
>>> ProductUpdateService/index.**html<http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/index.html>

MzK

"So let it rock, let it roll
Let the bible belt come and save my soul
Hold on to sixteen as long as you can
Changes come around real soon make us woman and men."
                               -- "Jack and Diane", John Mellencamp