incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: References to "Apache OpenOffice"
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:11:59 GMT
On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:38 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 6/26/12 4:07 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>
> wrote:

> >> Was it really necessary? In the meantime, Rob had edited the blog
> entries to
> >> insert:
> >>
> >> (Apache OpenOffice is currently undergoing Incubation at the Apache
> Software
> >> Foundation.)
> >>
> >> and this seems a good trade-off to me, much more than adding
> "(incubating)"
> >> to the title, which will confuse users, especially non-native speakers
> (but
> >> also native speakers won't always be able to guess what "incubating"
> means
> >> in this context).
> >>

> > +1.
> >
> > In fact, if you look at the IPMC's requirements for this, they are
> > here:   http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html
> >
> > "Naming
> >
> > After a podling has been approved, the lists are created, and the
> > initial code drop has commenced, the podling MUST be referred to as
> > Apache "Podling-Name" AND mention that the project is under
> > Incubation. Suitable mentions include:
> >
> > --     Inclusion of the http://incubator.apache.org/"podling-name" URL
> > ---    Apache "Podling-Name" is currently undergoing Incubation at the
> > Apache Software Foundation.
> >
> > Other references may only be used upon prior approval by the Incubator
> > PMC. These statements only need to be disclosed upon the first
> > reference in a document."
> >
> > Note that two incubation-disclaimers are given, and that neither one
> > of them are what Dave did.
>
> I am wondering as well and I agree that it was somewhat superfluous. But
> we shouldn't stress it any longer and should focus on the right actions
> forward to graduate.
>
> I think that is the best thing we can do... I personally don't have
> interest in any further teaching lesson.
>
> Juergen

OK, I think some of the confusion comes from a previous OK of referring to
the product as "Apache OpenOffice (TM)" vs the project -- Apache OpenOffice
(incubating).

see ref on the former at:

http://markmail.org/message/tnufz5cnoueh57ci

with a later follow-up that this "internal" TM would at some point become
"registered" when Apache OpenOffice (incubating) graduated -- normally  TM
registrations only occur on top level projects.

Oddly, despite the fact that we refer to the "product" as just Apache
OpenOffice, I remember some discussion and the final outcome that the
packages are named with "incubating" as part of the name.

Yeah, very confusing to say the least...

> >> Honestly, I'd be for linking "undergoing Incubation" (in the clauses Rob
> >> added) to Don's post
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/what_is_a_podling or
> >> some more official explanation, and removing "(incubating)" from the
> titles.
> >>
> >> This would give all interested parties the opportunity to discover what
> >> "incubating" means, which is probably the rationale behind the rule to
> use
> >> "(incubating)" everywhere, and at the same time would keep titles easily
> >> readable.
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > One issue, I think, is that users have no idea what "(incubating)"
> > means.  I had one user write me and joke about aliens in pods.   We
> > shouldn't be leading with out-of-context internal Apache process
> > jargon.  Perhaps that is why the Podling Branding Guide makes the
> > suggestions it does, and which I had already made to the post.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> >> Regards,
> >>  Andrea.

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb