incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: The reason I removed the program called Open Office 3.4
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 16:15:41 GMT
On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Andrea Pescetti <> wrote:

> On 02/06/2012 Jihui Choi wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM, RGB ES  wrote:
>>  AFAIK, AOO installer on windows ask for file association, but maybe
>>> not with enough insistence: while I agree that the "next, next, end +
>>> needed OK without thinking" culture on this day computer world is
>>> plain wrong, it is not our task to change it.
>> It's not. That is the problem at this point.
>> AOO installer doesn't ask me whether it will open MS office format
>> files by itself.
> If I recall correctly (from when this was changed, years ago), the
> installer is set to silently associate .doc, .xls and .ppt files with
> OpenOffice if it can't detect that they are already associated to Microsoft
> Office; otherwise is ignores them.

If this is still true (I don't use MS Windows) -- this is bad!

>From what I recall when I did use Windows, many apps ask if you want
"product x" to be the default for whatever-mime-type.  Folks then have the
opportunity to say "yes" or "no". The other side of the coin is dealing
with de-installation of "product x". The user should be given some way of
making reassignments to whatever mime types have been changed.

In the latter case, I don't recall how good some apps were about this --
maybe not very good. Since I haven't used Windows since 2001, I haven't
kept up with this stuff.

In no circumstance should AOO establish itself as a default for any file

> Then comment 73 by Olaf in
> seems to state that the option has been reintroduced... So I honestly
> don't know what the expected behavior is as of version 3.4 (and I can't
> test the actual behavior at the moment, but I would suggest to try both a
> scenario where doc/xls/ppt are already associated to Microsoft Office and
> one where they aren't).
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

"So let it rock, let it roll
Let the bible belt come and save my soul
Hold on to sixteen as long as you can
Changes come around real soon make us woman and men."
                               -- "Jack and Diane", John Mellencamp