incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Draft] How to Help Translate Apache OpenOffice
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:52:07 GMT
On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 6/4/12 5:15 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> > I'm putting this draft together, not because I have all the answers,
> > but because I think I have most of the questions.  Hopefully others
> > can help fill in the details.  When complete, this can go onto the
> > website and we can have a blog post to call for more translation
> > volunteers.
>
> you are faster than I ;-)
>
> I would create a new wiki page and would like to update the wiki page
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide

Yes, this sounds like a great idea! I didn't know about this when I put the
Native Lang page on the project site.

I'll reference the Pootle User Guide in it now, and it would be easiest to
just keep all additional info linked from that.

There seems to be increasing interest in translations that's for sure.

> [...]
>
> I would propose ooo-l10n@apache.org (otherwise i18n)
>

> > If a build with your language already exists, you should download and
> > install.  If you find errors in the translation, you can report it
> > directly as a bug report in Bugzilla
> > (https://issues.apache.org/ooo/enter_bug.cgi?product=native-lang) or
> > enter a suggested fix into Pootle (more on Pootle below).
> >
> > If a build is not yet ready for your language, then that typically
> > means that the translation is not yet complete.  You can help finish
> > the translation in several ways:
> >
> > 1) You can send a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n list if we
> > make one] requesting the PO file for that language.  This file can be
> > loaded into a translation management tool where you can edit the
> > translation.  When done, or when you've make progress that you want to
> > verify, you can submit the new PO file as an attachment in Bugzilla.
> > This approach works well if you are the only person working on a
> > translation.
> >
> > [ I need a list of some suggested tools that can be used with PO files ]
>
> see http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_User_Guide
>
> A tool to verify the sdf files
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Gsicheck
>

> > 2) You can suggest translations on our Pootle server:
> > https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/   Logins to Pootle are
> > reserved for project "Committers" (those volunteers who have
> > demonstrated sustained contributions to the project and have been
> > voted in as committers).  So initially you will need to work with
> > Pootle via suggestions.  But translators who have made substantial
> > contributions via their efforts are regularly give Committer rights.
> >
> > 3) Whichever method you use, when you have completed the initial
> > translation, send a note to ooo-dev  [or ooo-i10n list if we make
> > one].  At that point we can make a special test build of Apache
> > OpenOffice for you to review.  If more changes are required in the
> > translation, we can iterate on these steps, making changes, making new
> > test builds, etc.
> >
> > Note:  This process works best if there is a community of users
> > supporting the effort, and not just a single translator.  The
> > additional users, even if they cannot help with the translation
> > directly, they can help review the test build and point out errors in
> > translation, as well as other localization errors.  Others on the
> > OpenOffice project might be able to help you find other interested
> > users, so let us know, via a note to the ooo-dev list [or ooo-i10n
> > list if we make one], if you want that help.
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > [ Anything else we should add?   I assume we already have more on the
> > website someplace on the technical details of translation, dealing
> > with formatting strings and other non-translatable content, dealing
> > with substitutions in a string, etc. ]
> >
> > [ A separate topic, and one where we could use an equivalent document,
> > would be How to Help Translate the Website ]

MzK

"So let it rock, let it roll
Let the bible belt come and save my soul
Hold on to sixteen as long as you can
Changes come around real soon make us woman and men."
                               -- "Jack and Diane", John Mellencamp