incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: *DRAFT FINAL* June board report
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:28:30 GMT
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:59 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 6/7/12 12:10 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> having having
> needs to
> and what

> define its

> with

> can
> on

> >> I agree and thanks to remind me that I should take the appropriate
> >> action to address things like that ;-)
> >
> > Careful with the "I" - madness lies that way ;-)
> >
> > This is the perfect opportunity for someone lurking here to make an
> > early and potentially very significant contribution. Shepherding these
> > kinds of actions takes time away from those embedded in the coding.
> > It's a good way to earn merit while you figure out where to contribute
> > to the project. If someone like that is reading but not sure how to
> > proceed I'm sure others will help guide you.
>
> I agree but the idea is not really new and nothing happened so far ;-)
>
> Thinking more about it I would like to discuss a new term "Apache
> contributor" where users can register for an user account by accepting
> that all their contributions are under ALv2. The verification can be by
> email verification and the iCLA can be required as well (details have to
> be defined). With such accounts people would get access to more pubic
> wikis (like our user wiki), tools like Pootle, bugzilla etc.

You are a wise guy,  Juergen! I also agree that a more "refined"
contributor vs "committer" category is needed for cases just like this. And
in this project, we may have quite a few!

> The difference between contributors and committers would be that only
> committers get the @apache.org email address.
>
> I think that a such lightweight user could be useful and the license
> question of their contributions would be clear form the beginning.

I would also like to add a distinction such as this which would grant
certain rights to "contributors" as you describe above but without svn
access -- and thus also the lack of  "@apache.org".

It's been a *while* since I had anything to do with the innards of LDAP and
groups, but I feel confident these kinds of access distinctions can be
handled this way.

Especially with Pootle, as more folks are interested in this aspect,
preventing them from directly accessing services is non-optimal to say the
very least.

thanks for bringing this up.

> Juergen

MzK

"Everything will be all right in the end...
      if it's not all right then it's not the end. "
             -- Sonny, "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"