incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WEBPAGES][LICENSING] Do we need to put the ALv2 license header on top of our webpages (*.html, *.js *.css) ?
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:06:16 GMT
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Sent from my iPhone

> ALv2

> suitable
> >> as it

> >> This is my understanding. It will be good to change the mdtext in the
> >> OOo-site. The old html content was copied and it is not going to be a
> >> problem according to the information I received.
> >>
> >> If you look at the svn you will see that it was Kay and I did the bulk
> of
> >> these commits with minimal adjustment. There are scripts that were used
> >> do the work.
> >>
> >> If we want to insert the al2 banner on every page then there are ways to
> >> do it with templates or ssi.
> >>
> >> When I did this initially in the OOo site was told not to by Dennis.
> IIRC
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave
> >>

> > I'd like to reopen this old thread for a bit.
> >
> > Dave, do you know why Dennis told you not to do this?
> >

> Presumably because the pages were not under the Apache License.
>
> But let's back up.
>
> The SGA from Oracle put the OOo source code under Alv2.  It did
> nothing to the content on the website/wiki/forums.  That stuff all
> remains under whatever license it was before.  As we know, this was a
> mix of licenses.
>
> Now what we can probably do is put an ASF copyright on the entire
> site.  Note that we do this on the podling website, where we say on
> every page: "Copyright © 2011-2012 The Apache Software Foundation
> Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0"
>
> The idea there is that the arrangement and selection of content is
> itself a creative act, and can be copyrighted  This is similar to how
> an anthology of poetry can have a copyright by the anthologist, as
> well as copyrights by the individual poets.

OK...

> But in the case of the openoffice.org website, the license for the
> individual pages is under various other licenses.  So giving a proper
> notice for this is tricky.  We cannot remove existing copyright or
> license statements.
>
> Ideally, we want to make it clear to the reader which license applies
> to which pages.  This could be either within the pages itself, or some
> aggregated list (similar to what we do in our NOTICE file).

Do we even KNOW this down to a page level? I'm not sure we do...

> But maybe we want to back up even further:  What are we trying to fix?
>  Is there something about the website now that is not satisfactory?
> Is there something someone wants to do that they cannot do?

OK, well there are a couple of things --
* can "we" make any modifications we want to any page -- and by this I mean
current AOO committers -- ok well maybe you answered this below. We've done
this of course, but we've also identified some "problem" pages for which
there seems to be concern about this and really I don't know why.

* What if someone wants to take one of our "entire" pages, make some
modifications to it, and display it someplace else. Most people probably
wouldn't even ask about this and just do it , but what it someone DOES ask.
What should we tell them?

> > I think when we (you and I) were first porting things over, you had some
> > concerns -- or rather tracked down -- that the pages were PDL, a license
> > Sun created.
> >
> > ref:
> > http://www.openoffice.org/licenses/PDL.html
> >
> > So, do we basically think that anyone (any one of us or anyone else) can
> > use/modify the content of these pages according to this license?
> >

> IANAL, but the ICLA which all committers signed says that
> contributions are made under ALv2.
>
> -Rob

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "There's no crying in baseball!"
> >       -- Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks), "A League of Their Own"

MzK

"Known commonly as the jackass, this long-eared little creature
is respected throughout the southwest—roundly cursed
yet respected—and here he is usually referred to by his
Spanish name, burro. Because of his extraordinary bray,
he is sometimes ironically called the "Arizona Nightingale."

                     -- "Arizona, the Grand Canyon State: A State Guide",
                              By Federal Writers' Project