incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tutorial: How to Use the Apache CMS Web Interface
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:40:53 GMT
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:07 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/15/12 3:09 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> My first attempt making a video with Camtasia.  Hopefully this will be
> >> useful to someone starting to use the CMS for the first time:
> >>
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcDZN3Lu6HA
> >>

> > well done, I love short video tutorials ;-) with a good fresh coffee at
> > hand.
> >
> > Maybe you can share some more experience how you create it, what steps
> > are necessary to trim the video etc.
> >

> This was done with a 30-day trial version of Camtasia Studio:
> http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html
>
> It works like a screen capture tool:  You define what area of the
> screen you want to record, what audio device to capture, etc.  After
> recording it has a simple editor to insert titles, transitions, remove
> unnecessary pauses, etc.  Finally, it takes the project, encodes it as
> WMV and automatically uploads it to YouTube.  There is a lot more
> depth to the Camtasia features -- I only scratched the surface -- but
> you can get a lot done with just the basic features.
>
> Other than that, the idea is the same as any tutorial, whether given
> live, printed, video, podcast, whatever.  Have a clear idea of what
> you want the user to take away, and break it down into clear steps.

I'm familiar with Camtasia but not have used it personally...it would be
nice to investigate the open source alternative Roberto mentions. It would
be a nice attribution to the camstudio.org group if we setup a YouTube area.

> > I can think of many more such short video tutorials describing features
> > in the office.
> >
> > For example many users don't know the concept of styles. So how about a
> > short video explaining style and to create and use one. Or edit/change
> > an existing one...
> >

> Another idea would be a set of short videos examining each of the new
> features in AOO 3.4.

that would be good too!

> > Many many short videos of the same "style", means common intro page
> > pointing to our project + content video + common finish with further
> > info regarding the project or something like that.
> >

> Maybe also a common place on Youtube for these.

+1

>  Right now the videos
> are just in my personal account.  But it would be better,  think, if
> we had an AOO-branded account where such things could live.  This
> would make it easier for the users to find.

Yes! Maybe Drew would be willing to port his videos there also.
A sterling idea!

> Or maybe the way to do this is via common tagging?
>
> > It's perfect promotion for our project in several ways. We provide
> > useful tutorials that help our users, we show how easy it can be to join
> > the project and do something useful, we do some good marketing for our
> > project in general...
> >

> > Juergen

MzK

"Known commonly as the jackass, this long-eared little creature
is respected throughout the southwest—roundly cursed
yet respected—and here he is usually referred to by his
Spanish name, burro. Because of his extraordinary bray,
he is sometimes ironically called the "Arizona Nightingale."

                     -- "Arizona, the Grand Canyon State: A State Guide",
                              By Federal Writers' Project