incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Fwd: permission to use the Open Office Org logo
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:17:08 GMT
Hi--

This is a request we got last week to basically use an altered version of a
CD cover as a book cover.

I asked Steve (catfish) some questions about this, among them what version
of OpenOffice was the book for etc. You can see his responses in the
original thread.

The only thing that pops out at me is the lack of the "TM" symbol near the
bottom of OpenOffice.org in his version, but the CD doesn't include this
either. Something else for us to deal with at some point.

My opinion is that with the inclusion of the "TM", we should give him the
OK on this.

Thoughts?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Catfish Publishing <catfishpublishing@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Subject: RE: permission to use the Open Office Org logo
To: asf@shanecurcuru.org
Cc: trademarks@apache.org, ooo-private@incubator.apache.org

 Thank you, Shane.

PPMC, do you need more detail than the attached mock-up? I'd like to use
this as the cover design to provide an affordable print version of Getting
Started with OpenOffice.org 3 worldwide on Amazon.

Best,
Steve

> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:08:20 -0400
> From: asf@shanecurcuru.org
> To: catfishpublishing@hotmail.com
> CC: trademarks@apache.org; ooo-private@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: permission to use the Open Office Org logo

> Steve - please see our FAQ to see if that provides answers for you:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/
>
> Apache OpenOffice PPMC: FYI if you have questions or better
> documentation about how you prefer the CD case graphics to be used by
> third parties.
>
> - Shane
>
> On 2012-06-10 10:56 PM, Catfish Publishing wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I wanted to check in and confirm that this request is under
consideration.

> > Thanks,
> > Steve

> > From: catfishpublishing@hotmail.com
> > To: trademarks@apache.org
> > Subject: RE: permission to use the Open Office Org logo
> > Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 06:19:56 -0700
> >
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I see you have a very well designed CD case. May I use that as the
> > book cover? I've attached a mock-up.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > Steve

> > From: catfishpublishing@hotmail.com
> > To: trademarks@apache.org
> > Subject: permission to use the Open Office Org logo
> > Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:48:38 -0700
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to offer an inexpensive paperback version of 'Getting
> > Started with Open Office.org3' on Amazon. Am I allowed to use the Open
> > Office Logo on the cover? I will, of course, adhere to the Creative
> > Commons Attributions policies on the title page as well as mentioning
> > that the Open Office logo is a trademark of The Apache Corporation.
> >
> > Thank you very much,
> > Steve Sullivan

MzK

"Known commonly as the jackass, this long-eared little creature is
respected throughout the southwest—roundly cursed yet respected—and here he
is usually referred to by his Spanish name, burro. Because of his
extraordinary bray, he is sometimes ironically called the "Arizona
Nightingale."

                           -- "Arizona, the Grand Canyon State: A State
Guide",
                                By Federal Writers' Project