incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing old Publisher with Open Office
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:23:56 GMT
2012/6/26  <wkso@comcast.net>:
> Hello,
> I am a observer for the National Weather Service and I use a old version of Microsoft
Publisher to enter and publish my daily observations...with publisher I can set up a file/folder
and insert multiple pages at once, putting the same text on each page thereby eliminating
having to type or copy and paste to every page, can just enter the numerical data from my
instruments on a daily basis…
> I have been researching and experimenting with Open Office but unable at this time to
find a method where I can do on Open Office, what I can on Publisher..it seems all you have
is “Page Break”..is there a method with your program that I can use like in Publisher??.
Would appreciate any feedback or assistance you can give me at this time as I am looking for
a replacement for Publisher..

> Thank you,
> Larry Woller
> COOP/SWOP Observer, NWS, ILX
> Ogden, Illinois 61859

Writer is not a DPT program: it is based on content flow, not on page
layout like, for example, scribus. Bot nothing prevent you from
copy/paste that "unit of content" you want to repeat several times,
separating each one with a page break. You can even automate those
page breaks: it is really easy to associate a page break with a
particular paragraph style so you can set the first paragraph of the
"block" to automatically insert a page break before it.

With Writer you can also think of keeping a one page document and pick
you data from a database... but that's another question ;)

For any problem with Writer or any other component, you can use our
community forums:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/index.php

Regards