incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Outline frustration
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 09:48:11 GMT
2012/6/24 Nancy Ritter <ritternw@gmail.com>:
> I am an unsubscribed or unregistered user.
>
> I am preparing a document for myself and prefer to set my own outline and
> not have the text document decide for me.
> After correcting the misguided program's decisions several times, checked
> help,  I gave up and will write it out long hand.
>
> I'm writing to tell you, because I'm sure I can't be the only one with this
> problem.  Don't have time to search forums, blogs, etc.
> Outline feature should be something that the writer selects and turns on,
> not have it foisted upon him.
>
> OO User
> Nancy Ritter

Writer use styles for almost everything. If you use for example the
styles "Heading 1" for your top level headings (Chapters), "Heading 2"
for the next level (Sections) and so on, you just need to go to Tools
→ Outline numbering to select a "level" for your headings, maybe a
numbering, and you are ready to go: nothing else is needed. The
formatting is then controlled by the styles.

See for example these threads on the forums:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=278

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1221

There is a "learning curve" to understand how Writer works, but it is
worth the effort: styles in Writer (paragraph, character and page
styles) are really powerful.

If you have particular problems on this learning process, don't doubt
to ask on the forums.

Regards