incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: Touching base with the mirrorbrain operators
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 09:22:12 GMT
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM, drew jensen
<drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> It is wonderful to see the millions of downloads for the current 3.4
> release, utilizing the sf.net resources.

Also in this case one picture worths 1000 words, Rob keeps doing a
fantastic job using SourceForge's APIs to show the AOO 3.4 total so
far http://people.apache.org/~robweir/aoo-downloads.html

By the way we're about to provide an easier way to detect when a day
is over, so that is clear if queries for a given day are complete or
partial.

> It's also encouraging to see the half million downloads per month still
> going out from the mirrorbrain servers - this 500,000 p/mos figure is
> comprised of older releases, many of which include language packs not
> yet available for 3.4 or the upcoming 3.4.1 - so this is a valuable
> resource to the project still, IMO.

It's good to see we find a way to use both mirror networks. Beyond the
big numbers at stake, I think it we were right by setting a clear rule
about who serves which downloads (AOO 3.4, legacy). Doing so actually
we eliminated all potential problems with "which mirror network is
having a problem" kinds of debugging.  Talking about which, let me
state that so far we didn't experience any issue, people reported an
average time of downloading of about 2 mins that's pretty good.

> Back in March I sent an email to 102 contact references for that mirror
> network, it would be a good idea IMO to drop another note to these
> folks, let them know we recognize the traffic they are still carrying,
> say thanks and keep in touch as the projects looks to, and plans for the
> next release - 3.4.1 and beyond.
>
> Sound like a good idea?

Of course!

Roberto