incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Cassia <fcas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Would like to help, but...
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:21:25 GMT
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Shannon Jacobs <shanen@alumni.rice.edu>wrote:

> Meanwhile, I hate the anti-freedom anti-choice policies of Microsoft,
> Apple, Oracle, and increasingly the google, too. However, their economic
> models work.

Hold your horses

Lots of Linux code developed at
http://oss.oracle.com/

(including the Btrfs developed at ORCL and merged in the Linux kernel last
February that makes Linux competitive with Microsoft's ReFS)

Virtualbox
License: GPLv2
https://www.virtualbox.org/

Netbeans
License: CDDL / GPL
http://netbeans.org/

Glassfish
License: CDDL / GPL
http://glassfish.java.net/

OpenJDK
License: GPL2+CE
http://openjdk.java.net/

MySQL Community Edition: GPL
http://www.mysql.com/products/community/

JavaDB: Apache 2.0 License
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javadb/overview/index.html

BerkeleyDB: 2-clause BSD license <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license>
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/berkeleydb/overview/index-093405.html

So while I wouldn't touch the firm's propietary products, that they are
putting lots of development dollars into plenty of open source projects is
hardly what I'd call "anti-Freedom" or "anti-choice".

FC

act
- George Orwell