incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Wright <gwright2...@hotmail.es>
Subject Re: The reason I removed the program called Open Office 3.4
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 04:30:39 GMT
On 02/06/2012 03:40, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2012, at 7:18 PM, Jihui Choi wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Alexandro Colorado<jza@oooes.org>  wrote:
>>> When you install it you agreed to open doc files in OpenOffice
>>>
>> Basically installing AOO doesn't mean we agreed to open MS office
>> formats in AOO.
>> And it's supposed there's an option page to choose whether we'll open
>> them in AOO or not.
>> But I couldn't find any similar option. I installed AOO 3.4 twice to
>> check this on Windows 7 32bit.
>> It's very strange and shame. It should be checked and fixed.
> I am unsure from your statement Choi (is it proper to use the second name in conversation?)
whether you were confirming the user's report.

> If what the reporter says is true then this needs to be a bugzilla and possible blocker
for 3.4.1. How is this being tested on Windows? And is the result that installing AOO 3.4
on it does in fact cause (or even has as a default) the shifting of MS Office document types
to be opened with AOO instead of MS Office. If MS Office is present then this must not be
the the default option.

> The check must not be implicit to the user who just clicks continue and accept buttons
through the WIndows installation process. Users must explicitly choose to have AOO override
MS Office for MS Office documents.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> JiHui Choi

I often wonder why somebody that has Microsoft Office would have the
need to install Open Office anyway!
Isn't Open Office mainly for those people who cannot afford, or who are
unwilling to pay for Microsoft Office?