incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Propose to Integrate Old OO Wiki and New AOO Wiki
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 01:45:31 GMT
KG01 - see comments inline.

On Jun 6, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM, chengjh <chengjh@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We see,the old OpenOffice.org wiki
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page  has accumulated plenty
>> of valuable information,including planning,function specification,technical
>> documents and so on..Currently,the planning and project tracking parts have
>> been moved to
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home,that means a
>> new start of the project.Because the two wikis are two different wiki
>> software systems,moreover, there are existing different writing styles
>> between them and writers need accounts for them respectively, it is not
>> convenient for writers to write wiki articles when switching between
>> them...So, I propose to create a new wiki for developers to record
>> technical documents,technical review,proposals/ideas,function specification
>> and design,and so on by sub-project categories, for example,we can move the
>
> We actually already have a 3rd wiki, for developers:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home
>
> Here is the history:
>
> The MediaWiki instance was the legacy wiki, used by OpenOffce.org project
>
> When the Apache project was create, we had two new wiki's created.
> Remember at that time we had not yet migrated the MediaWiki over to
> Apache, and it was not certain whether we would be able to do it.
>
> The two new wikis were:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home    This
> was the "community wiki" where anyone could create an account and edit
> content.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Wiki+Home   This
> wiki was restricted to committers.
>
> The OOODEV wiki made it suitable for content that might make it into a
> product release.  For example logos, draft help, etc.  If this was put
> on an open wiki, where anyone would access it, then we'd need to do
> much more work to track permissions if we wanted to move something
> from the wiki into SVN for use in a release.  Having a wiki that was
> only writable by committers ensure that the content is always under
> ALv2.
>
> If we want to go to a single wiki, I think we should resolve the
> license issue.    And we should also encourage CTR by ensuring that
> there is an email notification for changes.  We do that for CWiki
> today.
>
> -Rob

KG01 - While I appreciate that wiki-oriented design and development resources are scarce,
we should consider forming a swat team to sort this out. As a distributed team we need usable
tools and useful info. To help orient readers, and make active versus archival material distinct,
we should consider a rapid visual refresh, or some other predominant visual affordable. The
current "document: outdated" is not predominant enough.