incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [HELP REQUIRED]: edit reference version on the website
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:57:04 GMT

On Jun 23, 2012, at 3:58 AM, TJ Frazier wrote:

> On 6/22/2012 17:35, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Hi Jürgen,
>>
>> I've moved the navigation over to the righthand side. I think that looks much better.
>>
>> Please see http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/api/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/auth/module-ix.html
>>
> <snip>
>
> Dave,
>
> A few thoughts on the nav column:
>
> * (Personal): "You are messing with the tools in my workshop. You need a very good reason
to do that ... "

Forgive me. I tool the opening to suggest a change. It is easily reversible although it takes
a couple of hours because the API is big.

This is also staged, it is there for RTC. Revert? If so simply revert templates/api/ssi.mdtext
and leave the rightnav work in content/css/ooo.css.

> * Both Mwiki and Cwiki have their nav info on the left. For those accustomed to LTR languages,
there is a certain natural hierarchy of position involved.

I think that if the content is the main focus then for LTR languages having subsidiary navigation
on the right makes more sense. What wikis do may be different. The main API page uses a right
nav.

> * Is a nav column really the best use of screen real-estate? The Apache main site cleverly
relegates a lot of navigation to the footer. Perhaps a "Navigation" button link thereto?

Agreed. These pages already have two or three layers of horizontal buttons in a mess of styles.

> * IIRC, the SDK provides a local copy of the API. Will that look the same as the web
site?

No and it would be good to consider the needs of both in the SDK generation which AFAIK is
what Jürgen is providing with this update.

If you'd like to I can work with you slowly to correct these issues.

HTH,
Dave