incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jürgen Schmidt" <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Propose Khmer language in download page
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 04:57:42 GMT
Am Mittwoch, 27. Juni 2012 um 05:17 schrieb Javier Sola:
> On 6/25/12 6:47 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> > we currently provide only full install set for the languages that we
> > releases or plan to release for 3.4.1. But we are open to support more
> > languages when we notice and see a working translation community for a
> > language. That means ideally not only 1 person but a group of people who
> > can actually review the translation ...
> >

> Hi Juergen,
>
> The translation of OpenOffice to Khmer is done since 2004 by a group of
> professional localizers hired by the Open Institute (a local Cambodian
> NGO). Sokhem has been managing this group since 2005.

great, thanks for this background information. I was not involved in translation before, means
I don't know all the details around the different teams/groups doing translation. But it is
fascinating to hear and learn more about it.

> The NGO works with the Cambodian government on the migration of
> OpenOffice, and mostly with the Ministry of Education, which has made
> OpenOffice in Khmer compulsory in Education (MS is not allowed in schools).

perfect

> We have always worked directly using .SDF files, not using Pootle,
> mostly because we were using XLIFF files instead of PO to localize, as
> it is much more efficient. We developed our own XLIFF editor (WordForge).

Do you want an updated sdf file? I can send you one.

Can you share more details about your XLIFF editor etc. Is it open source and can it be used
by others? We still can improve our localization process and the project can definitely benefit
from experts in this area (it's not me ;-)) who can help to drive things forward.

> Having Khmer included in the list and having a 3.4.1 installer would be
> great for us, as the gap since 3.3 has already been to long. The
> translation in Pootle will be completed within this week.

Ok, we have it on the list now.

Juergen