incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Translation testing
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2012 07:49:13 GMT
On 19/06/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> If we want to have a reputation for high quality I think we need to
> find a way to get beyond "solo translations", by which I mean
> translations done by own person, with no independent review. ...
> Maybe we can promote the availability of a new translation, with help
> from the translator, among our user base.  So notices on Twitter,
> blogs, and native-language tech sites.

We should always be inclusive: rejecting a translation because it has
been done by one person only will just put additional obstacles to
support minority languages.

I agree on accepting all translations and creating dev builds for those
translations. Then, if we want to have some quality control, I'd put as
a "highly recommended" pre-release step an explicit evaluation of
localized versions: an Italian-speaking volunteer will take care of
vouching for the quality of Italian builds and so on, and we collect
these approvals on a wiki page. We could also recommend that, whenever
possible, the review is done by someone else than the original
translator, to avoid the "solo translations" problems Rob outlines.

Regards,
   Andrea.