incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal to activate the update service for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 00:36:38 GMT
On 6/28/2012 16:07, Hagar Delest wrote:
> Le jeu. 28 juin 2012 11:27:54 CEST, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <orwittmann@googlemail.com> a écrit :
>> On 27.06.2012 14:58, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> But one question:  Has anyone actually tested the upgrade experience
>>> from OOo 3.2 to AOO 3.4?
>>>

>> As far as I know, it was not tested yet.
>> But, I think we need to assure that is works.
>
> I'm rather confident it will work.
> But the problem is with the user profile. Since AOO 3.4, we have many
> topics in the forums where the fix is to reset the profile. The problem
> is that it can lead to frustration because of the loss of customization.
> Worse, when users want to downgrade, the new profile is sometimes no
> more compatible and definitively wrecked for them.
> Could something be added during install to make a copy of the user
> profile (at least silently)?
>
> But on the other hand, I doubt we will ever have a robust solution for
> such upgrades. So in the end, the users may have no choice and redo all
> the customization in case of upgrade.
> But if so, the user should be at least warned. Not that easy, I agree.
>
> Hagar

Hi, Hagar,

Is it really necessary to delete the whole User folder, or is it enough
to delete the registrymodifications.xcu file in that folder? AFAIK, the
user will lose only the "recent documents" entries for the item on the
File menu, but other settings may vanish, too. The keyboard, toolbar,
and autotext/autocorrect settings should be preserved.

If deleting rm.xcu fixes the users' problems, we really should be asking
them to attach a copy of the old one to a BZ issue, so somebody can see
what's going wrong.

/tj/