incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] proposal to activate the update service for OOo 3.2 and OOo 3.2.1
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:07:10 GMT
Le jeu. 28 juin 2012 11:27:54 CEST, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittmann@googlemail.com>
a écrit :
> On 27.06.2012 14:58, Rob Weir wrote:
>> But one question:  Has anyone actually tested the upgrade experience
>> from OOo 3.2 to AOO 3.4?
>>

> As far as I know, it was not tested yet.
> But, I think we need to assure that is works.

I'm rather confident it will work.
But the problem is with the user profile. Since AOO 3.4, we have many topics in the forums
where the fix is to reset the profile. The problem is that it can lead to frustration because
of the loss of customization.
Worse, when users want to downgrade, the new profile is sometimes no more compatible and definitively
wrecked for them.
Could something be added during install to make a copy of the user profile (at least silently)?

But on the other hand, I doubt we will ever have a robust solution for such upgrades. So in
the end, the users may have no choice and redo all the customization in case of upgrade.
But if so, the user should be at least warned. Not that easy, I agree.

Hagar