incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <rbirc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VCLAuto] Problems with build.xml
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 21:50:49 GMT
Hi Zhe Liu

Am 21.06.12 07:49, schrieb Zhe Liu:
> Hi Raphael Bircher,
> Did you run the testing successfully? I wanna get some feedback to improve it.

I think, the tool itself works, but I run in same trubble. Take a look
at http://people.apache.org/~rbircher/download/ooo_bugs/vclauto/ maybe
you can help me.

Same feedback from the tool. I can compare, because i worked with both.

Installation.
Both, the old and the new TT are not easy to install. The old one was
not so easy cause configuration and so on. The new one is not easy
because of the depencity (Ant, Eclipse, junit) So, it's only samething
for power Users.

I find it harder to execute the new Testtool as the old one. By the old
one you have had simply to load the script and run it. By the new one
you have to take a look to the parameters. But this is only a entry
barriere.

Debuging: Sametimes usefull can be the screenshot wich are taken by the
VCLAuto. I see no avantage by searching the errors. By both you have to
understand source Code. For my point of view it's more a question of the
taste, Java or Basic. The Scipts from VCLAuto are more readable, because
they ar small and smart. But i have no illusion here, this will change
over the time ;-)

>From the points above, VCLAuto and VCLTestTool are equal solutions.
Well, VCLAuto is maybe newer. But I have two big critisme to VCLAuto

- VCLAuto can't test Localized Builds at the moment.
- We have much less tests for VCLAuto then for the VCLTestTool (I beleve
that the old TestTool covers 20 Times more then the VCLAuto Tests now)
This is also the reason why VCLTestTool use much more time to run.
VCLAuto is not realy faster, it has simply less Testcase, and from a QA
point of view, this is bad news.

>From my point of view, the VCL auto is atm not a equal replacement for
the VCLTestTool. The VCLAuto is indeed the fresher tool, but also less
mature. I support the move to VCLAuto, but i also have to remind every
one here that there is still a load of Work.

Greetings Raphael